This is a key role for the School of Mathematics and the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences at the University of Birmingham. The postholder will deliver our Outreach Strategy, inspiring young people to study maths and other STEM subjects while promoting the University of Birmingham as the destination of choice. They will lead on a range of events and activities both on and off campus. The role is responsible for building and managing relationships with schools and colleges, and identifying new opportunities. They will hold an overview of outreach activity across the College, co-ordinating and supporting colleagues’ efforts while also working collaboratively with other teams in the University. The postholder will work to agreed targets and evaluate outcomes of activities in order to build the pipeline of prospective students for Birmingham, focussed on maths and STEM.
Outreach: The postholder will be responsible for delivery of the Outreach Strategy. They will:
- Deliver activities that will position the University of Birmingham as the destination of choice to study STEM subjects,
- Develop an innovative programme of activities, appropriate for different age groups, that are measured and evaluated against agreed objectives,
- Use those activities to build a pipeline of prospective students for STEM at Birmingham,
Schools Liaison: The postholder will be responsible for identifying key schools and colleges, building and maintaining relationships and ensuring the University of Birmingham is perceived as a destination of choice for STEM subjects. This will include:
- Using data and liaising with the central outreach team to prioritise target schools,
- Developing and delivering an engagement plan for target schools,
- Building relationships with school staff and pupils in order to nurture the pipeline of maths applicants,
Events: The postholder will lead on the delivery of a number of College-wide and School of Mathematics events. This will include:
- Securing internal resource and support for the events working with academic colleagues, students and alumni,
- Allocating appropriate budget, evaluating ROI,
- Liaising with external sponsors for specific events, reporting back,
Marketing, Recruitment and Admissions: As an important member of the College Marketing and Communications team, the postholder will:
- Support activities such as open days and offer holder days in both the organisation and delivery,
- Attend relevant committee and team meetings, updating colleagues on activities,
- Support work to ensure successful recruitment to target across the College.
- Degree level education plus at least five GCSEs at grades A-C, including Mathematics and English
- An A-Level in a STEM subject
- Experience in delivering outreach activities preferably in an education environment
- Event management experience
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills to deal with a wide range of contacts, both internally and externally, and at all levels from school pupils to teachers
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to handle groups of varying ages
- DBS check (or willingness to undertake DBS check)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to use tact and diplomacy
- Experience of using databases to manage information, including performing mail merge
Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,025 to £29,515. With potential progression once in post to £33,199 a year.
Duration of Post: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
Closing date: 14/03/2019
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online click here, please quote Job Ref 43247 in all enquiries.